The VCU Energy and Sustainability Conference Planning Committee has made a commitment to plan and carry out the conference in a manner that is consistent with the Virginia Green campaign. The Virginia Green campaign promotes environmentally friendly practices in Virginia's tourism industry. Virginia Green has "core activities" specific to each sector of tourism. These practices are the required minimum for participation in the program. Virginia Green encourages its participants to reduce their environmental impacts as much as possible.
Here are some Green Features of this event.
Greater Richmond Convention Center
The Greater Richmond Convention Center (GRCC) is a Certified Virginia Green Convention Center. The GRCC is dedicated to being environmentally responsible and aims to exemplify the Virginia Green program. Green practices employed by the Convention Center include:
- Recycling and waste reduction
- Elimination of styrofoam and reduction of disposables
- Water efficiency
- Energy conservation
- Support for green Conferences and events
Read more about the GRCC Green policies.
For general information on the Convention Center visit www.richmondcenter.com.
ARAMARK is the exclusive caterer for the Greater Richmond Convention Center. The ARAMARK Green Program at the Convention Center includes an environmental plan to boost energy efficiency and cut down on waste. They have taken the following steps to lesson their impact on the environment:
- Significantly reduce the use of individual serving size condiment packages by using a bulk dispenser system
- Use highly-disposable, biodegradable service ware
- Use environmentally-safe, non-toxic cleaning products
- Recycle glass, plastic, paper, cooking grease and other materials as allowed by local municipal and facility guidelines
- Buy all fruits and vegetables locally
- Significantly reduce organic waste disposal to landfills by using in-house disposal process on most food items
- Encourage organic waste composting and other practices in conjunction with the facility program.
For more information, contact the ARAMARK General Manager at 804-783-7304.
The Hilton Garden Inn, the Conference headquarter hotel, is a member of the Virginia Green campaign.
Look for more information on the Green Features of the VCU Energy and Sustainability Conference coming soon.